Monday, 23 July 2012

Summer Project Stresses

I'm currently anticipating a summer project from Cardiff met where I'l be doing my degree in textiles. So this post is about the summer project I did last summer for foundation.
I find summer projects stressful, how much work do you do? what if the others do the same?? How do you complete a project without studio equipment???
Anyway the brief for this project was "Survival" I began in the usual way, mind mapping and researching before deciding to work with themes of surviving grief and loss.
I filled a sketchbook with lots of research, visits to galleries, photo's, samples and drawings. I drew motifs such as poppies, pocket watches and hands.
For my samples I experimented with combining stitch and image transferred photo's.
I made work representing each of the stages of grief; anger, loneliness etc. I used harsh stitching over some photo's to portray pain, and used bleach over photo's to represent loneliness and fear of forgetting lost ones.
My final piece consisted of three canvas's, I combined stitch, text and image transferred motifs. I stuck to a colour pallet of white black and red, and matched elements of each of the canvases so they worked well together in sequence.
We had to present our projects in front of our lecturer's and class on the first day. I was glad that I had a strong project and my lecturers appreciated how hard I had worked.
Remembering the responses from this project and with all the confidence in my work I have gained on foundation, really I should have nothing to worry about for any projects that may be coming my way....







No comments :

Post a Comment