I have just completed my first two weeks in the dye workshop. So far in class we learnt the following techniques and processes;
Stretching and colouring papers
Shibori
Transfer Dyeing with the Heat Press
Reactive dyes
Direct dyes
Acid dyes
Disperse dyes
Cold Water Dyeing
Batik
We also experimented with each process exploring the many different variations that can be achieved through each one.
Here are some of my samples;
These are all processes that I have done before. In fact these first two weeks have been a little surreal as we are doing almost identically what I did during my first term on A level Textiles.
This can feel a little frustrating and like a step backwards. I think I've let this lack of enthusiasm affect the quality and creativity I have brought to the tasks so far.
Obviously it is important to go through all the processes so that everyone starts with a with a fairly equal understanding of the basics, and we learn how things are done at CSAD*- where things are kept etc. So it is practical and worthwhile especially as many of the girls have not done the processes before.
I also realise that I am not an expert at these processes and, especially after a long summer break its a great opportunity to get back into the swing of things. Therefore this week I aim to bring a more positive attitude. (I have also had a lovely weekend off work so I'm considerably less grumpy than usual at the prospect of the week ahead) I plan to push myself in terms of quantity and quality and try to really absorb and incorporate all the sources of inspiration, lectures, and experiences at uni so far, to make this first project a good'un.
*Cardiff School of Art and Design








No comments :
Post a Comment